Associate Professor/Head of Reference and Instruction
Pandora Mill Building, Room 268
Carolyn White Gamtso is the Head of Reference and Instruction at the UNH Manchester Library. She is interested in innovative information literacy programs, and works with CAE Director Kim Donovan to oversee the UNH Manchester Research Mentor Program. The program trains class-linked tutors to assist students with library research. Professor Gamtso’s collection development activities for the Library reflect her love of literature and cinema: she selects materials for the popular UNH Manchester Audiobook and Film Collections.
From July to December of 2007, Professor Gamtso pursued a long-held dream by spending her academic sabbatical in the foothills of the Himalayas, teaching English to Tibetan refugees in Dharamsala, India, home of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Government-in-Exile. While in Dharamsala, she put her library skills to good use as well by reorganizing a volunteer organization’s community reading room.
Professor Gamtso and all of the librarians at the UNH Manchester Library are dedicated to helping students with research skills. We look forward to seeing you in the classroom or at the Learning Commons Help Desk!
Professor Gamtso’s research interests include information literacy, faculty collaboration, and peer tutoring in the library. She has shared her research in the area of library instruction at local, regional, national, and international conferences, and has co-authored several articles and a book chapter that discuss information literacy projects and practices.
- American Library Association
- Library Instruction Roundtable
- Association of College and Research Libraries—ACRL
- New England Library Instruction Group—NELIG (an interest group of the ACRL/New England Chapter)
- Dean’s Award for Service to the Community, UNH Manchester, 2002 (for participation in the UNH-Manchester/Parker-Varney Partnership, a school outreach program)
- Paterson, Susanne F. and Carolyn White Gamtso. “Guiding Students from Consuming Information to Creating Knowledge: A Freshman English Library Instruction Collaboration.” Communications in Information Literacy (CIL). 5:2 (2011): 117-126.
- Fensom, Gail; Regina McCarthy; Kirsten Rundquist, Dorothy Sherman, and Carolyn B. White. “Navigating Research Waters: The Research Mentor Program at the University of New Hampshire at Manchester.” College & Undergraduate Libraries. 13.2 (2006): 49-74.
- Paterson, Susanne, and Carolyn White. “A Collaborative Approach to Information Literacy.” Academic Exchange Quarterly (AEQ), Volume 8, Issue 4, Winter 2004.
- Paterson, Susanne F., and Carolyn B. White. “Rethinking the Paradigms: Toward a New Vision of Libraries and Student Learning.” The International Journal of Learning. 12.5 (2005/2006).
- White, Carolyn and Margaret Pobywajlo. “A Library, Learning Center, & Classroom Collaboration: A Case Study.” Centers for Learning: Writing Centers and Libraries in Collaboration. Ed. James K. Elmborg and Sheril Hook. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries, 2005.
- M.L.I.S., University of Rhode Island, 1997 (Beta Phi Mu)
- M.A., Indiana University, 1991
- B.A., College of the Holy Cross, 1989 (Phi Beta Kappa)
- Calming the Mind, Healing the Body: Can alternative therapies help college students improve their health?
- Term Papers, Google, and Library Anxiety: How can information literacy improve students’ research skills?