In order to apply for financial aid at UNH Manchester, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must reapply for financial aid each academic year by completing a new FAFSA.

There are two ways to complete a FAFSA:

  1. You can apply online
  2. Or apply with a paper FAFSA

The FAFSA asks for information regarding the student and the student's parents' financial situation, if the student is considered dependent as established by the FAFSA.

The 2015-2016 FAFSA requires information from your 2014 tax return (and your parents' or spouses' tax return). While it is better to have completed your taxes prior to completing the FAFSA, it is encouraged that you file an application with estimated information in order to meet the priority deadline and then later update the FAFSA once you have filed your tax return. Also, it is recommended that you keep a copy of your tax return for your records in the event that the school requests additional documentation in order to award financial aid.

If you file your FAFSA online electronically, you will be notified via email when your SAR is available for viewing at The link to your SAR is only available for a short time; therefore, it is recommended that you print a copy of your SAR for your records. The SAR contains all the information you provided to the Federal Processor. It is important to review your SAR for accuracy. If you notice an error, a correction can be filed online at

Your SAR will indicate your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Your EFC is determined by a formula established by the US Congress. Your EFC represents the amount of money that the government determines that you (and your parents, if applicable) can contribute towards your education. **IMPORTANT - This is not the amount of money that you will be required to contribute towards your education, but rather a means for the Financial Aid Office to determine your family's level of financial need.

In order to determine financial need, the Financial Aid Office will subtract your EFC from the UNH Manchester Cost of Attendance (COA). The COA is a predetermined amount that includes expenses such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board, transportation and miscellaneous expenses.

Financial Need Calculation

Cost of Attendance - EFC = Financial Need

Once financial need is determined, the Financial Aid Office will assist the student in filling that financial need with various types of financial aid.

If the student has no financial need, they may still qualify for a low interest unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans.

Students will receive an email from UNH Manchester indicating that an award is ready to view on WebCat. This lists the types of aid that they qualify for as soon as they have completed the financial aid process and have been accepted in to a degree program. The student may accept all, none or a portion of the aid that is awarded to them.

If you believe you have unusual family circumstance that is not reflected on the FAFSA, you may complete and submit the Special Circumstance Form to the UNH Manchester Financial Aid Office.

If you have questions about the financial aid application and award process or about your award, please contact the Financial Aid Office.