Listed below are various types of educational assistance available through the state of New Hampshire or through the federal government for special categories of students. The university does not administer these funds, but eligible students may use them to meet educational costs at UNH Manchester.

New Hampshire State Aid Programs

The New England Regional Student Program (NERSP): Provides New England residents with a reduced tuition rate when they study certain majors at public colleges and universities in other New England states. New England students get a reduced out-of-state tuition rate when they enroll at public colleges and universities in the other New England states and study RSP-approved majors which are not offered by public colleges in their home states. All 77 public colleges and universities in New England participate in the RSP. This program is provided through the New England Board of Higher Education.

New Hampshire Charitable Foundation: NH residents pursuing undergraduate or graduate study at approved institutions of post secondary education are eligible to apply for grants, interest-free and low-interest loans from this fund. Information and applications are available from the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation Student Aid Program, 37 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301, or visit their web site at

POW/MIA Children's Benefits: Children of persons domiciled in New Hampshire while serving in the U.S. armed forces after February 28, 1961, and were officially interned or missing in action during the Southeast Asian conflict are eligible to receive full tuition at UNH Manchester. Information may be obtained from a high school guidance counselor, the trustees of the University System, or the State Board of Education, Concord, NH 03301.

War Orphans Benefits: Residents of New Hampshire age 16 to 25 whose veteran parent(s) died as a result of service in World War I, World War II, the Korean conflict, Vietnam, or Gulf wars and whose veteran parent(s) were legal residents of New Hampshire at the time of death are eligible to receive full tuition at UNH and a maximum of $2,500 per year for room, board, books, and supplies. Information can be obtained from the Department of education, 101 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301 Or at

Vocational Rehabilitation Programs: Every state operates a vocational rehabilitation program to assist people with disabilities to return to productive activity. In certain cases, a vocational rehabilitation agency will assist students with disabilities to meet college expenses. Students should contact their local agencies. For New Hampshire residents visit the website.

Veterans Educational Assistance Benefits (VEAP): Students should contact their local Veterans Administration if they think they may be eligible for assistance in any of the following categories:

  1. children, spouses, widows, or widowers of veterans who died or were permanently and totally disabled in or as the result of service in the armed forces of the U.S.
  2. children of servicemen missing in action or prisoners of war for more than 90 days
  3. qualified servicemen or servicewomen now in civilian life who were on continuous active duty for at least 181 days ending after January 31, 1955, or are on active duty in the armed forces now.

Veteran's Benefits Payments: Veteran's and their dependents should investigate their eligibility for veteran's benefits payments. Questions may be addressed to any local Veteran's Administration Office, or to: Lonn Sattler, UNH Veterans Coordinator, Registrar's Office - Stoke Hall, Durham, NH 03824 (603) 862-1695 or e-mail him at

New Hampshire sources for financial aid and student grants