The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) is a federally funded aid program designed to provide jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses. The program encourages students to work in community organizations where they can gain valuable experience to enhance their resume and explore their major field of study.
The FWS program currently covers 50 percent of the student worker's salary and the employer is responsible for the remaining 50 percent.
NEW for the 2014-2015 academic yearWork Study positions will now be posted on Wildcat Careers
How to log on to Wildcat Careers:
- Go to the Wildcat Careers login page, and choose the Student/Alumni type.
- Enter your username and password. This is the same information you use to log into Blackboard with.
- Start using Wildcat Careers to search for jobs and internships.
How to search for Work Study positions:
- Log into your Wildcat Careers account
- Use your UNH username and password
- Go to the Jobs & Internships tab, then click on Wildcat Careers Jobs & Internships
- Locate Advanced Search next to the search bar near the top of the page, then select More Filters towards the bottom.
- Select Work Study/Student Hourly under the Position Type filter
- Click on position title for more information and for directions on how to apply
Once you have confirmed you have been awarded Federal Work Study funds as part of your financial aid package, you may apply for FWS job openings by completing the FWS Job Application. An award of Federal Work Study is not a guarantee of a job. These positions are competitive and it is up to the student to be pro-active in pursuing employment.
Check Wildcat Careers often to find new positions that have been added. Notify the financial aid department if you are interested in any additional positions that have been posted.
- Fill out a UNH Manchester Federal Work Study Job Application and return it to the Financial Aid Office located in the Student Services Suite of University Center, room 270A. Download an application or stop by the office to get one.
- Check the job listings for open positions and keep in contact with the Federal Work Study Coordinator and request to have your application submitted to the employer of your choice.
- Once a supervisor has offered you a position you must go the Financial Aid Office to pick up the FWS Employment Authorization form. You must also contact Human Resources to complete required hiring forms. Note: Students may not begin working until the FWS Employment Authorization process is complete.
The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded aid program designed to provide jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to each student's course of study.
FWS is designed to subsidize a portion of the student's wages. Because of this subsidy, many opportunities are available to organizations and office that would not otherwise be able to hire students. Currently the FWS program covers 50 percent of the student worker's salary and the employer is responsible for the remaining 50 percent. Our collaborative relationships with community non-profit agencies allows us to support agency missions and objectives while also providing jobs to undergraduate and graduate students with financial need.
- Access to a year round supply of highly motivated and capable students
- Receive student applications from the Financial Aid Office as they are submitted
- Short-term student employment commitments provide built in flexibility
- Access to potential candidates for permanent positions
- Expand staffing budgets though FWS subsidized positions
- Cost-effective solutions to screen, evaluate, train, recruit, and hire career employees.
- Give students a chance to earn money for education expenses
The Application Process:
Once you have the information you need and have decided to participate in the Federal Work Study Program you may submit an application package.
- 1. Complete the FWS Terms of Agreement form
- 2. Complete the Commercial Credit Application Form
- 3. Complete the job request form for posting on the Financial Aid FWS job posting page
If you are an non-profit off-campus employer and have yet to complete a Terms of Agreement you may complete the job request and the FWS coordinator will contact you to discuss how your organization may apply to the program. Jobs will not be posted by the FWS Coordinator until employers are approved and submit required documentation.
For more information about FWS at UNH Manchester, contact the Federal Work Study Program Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office at 603-641-4189.