Nicholas Mian teaches courses related to clinical and child psychology, as well as core psychology courses. He also oversees the Internship course in Psychology. His research focuses on understanding anxiety in young children and how this knowledge can inform the design and implementation of early intervention and prevention programs. In addition to teaching and research, Mian is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist specializing in the treatment of child anxiety. In his spare time, he enjoys fly fishing, gardening, home improvement, and hiking with his family.
Early intervention and prevention of emotional disorders in children
Parent engagement in child mental health services
- Mian, N. D., Carter, A. S., Pine, D., Wakschlag, L. S., & Briggs-Gowan, M. J. (2015). Development of a novel observational measure for anxiety in young children: The Anxiety Dimensional Observation Scale. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. Epub ahead of print. DOI: 10.1111/jcpp.12407
- Mian, N. D., Eisenhower, A. S., & Carter, A. S. (2015). Toward targeted prevention of anxiety in young children: Enhancing parent engagement in a high-risk, urban sample. American Journal of Community Psychology. Epub ahead of print. DOI: 10.1007/s10464-014-9696-5
- Mian, N. D. (2014). Little children with big worries: Addressing the needs of young, anxious children and the problem of parent engagement. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, 17(1), 85-96. DOI: 10.1007/s10567-013-0152-0.
- Godoy, L., Mian, N. D., Eisenhower, A. S., & Carter, A.S. (2014). Pathways to service receipt: Modeling parent help seeking for childhood mental health problems. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health and Services Research, 41(4), 469-479. DOI: 10.1007/s10488-013-0484-6
- Mian, N. D., Godoy, L., Briggs-Gowan, M. J. & Carter, A. S. (2012). Patterns of anxiety symptoms in toddlers and preschool-age children: Evidence of early differentiation. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 26(1), 102-110. Doi: 10.1016/j.janxdis.2011.09.006
Ph.D., University of Massachusetts Boston, 2013
M.A., University of Massachusetts Boston, 2009
M.A., Boston University, 2007
A.B., Bowdoin College, 2002