Olivia's Sweet Tour of Downtown Manchester

Thursday, February 14, 2019

by

by: 
Olivia Pollock '14, Communication Arts

chocolate

Valentine’s Day is here, and that can only mean one thing… chocolate! In honor of the holiday, I took on the very daunting duty of roaming around the city to test out and find the best chocolate available. Hey, someone’s got to do it!

A four-minute walk from campus, Elm Street is a hub for sweet treats. I started at Granite State Candy Shoppe, a little place with a wide variety of chocolate assortments and plenty of Valentine’s Day options. They had everything from heart-shaped sweets to classic pieces of fudge to the traditional chocolate-filled heart-shaped boxes. I left with a yummy little chocolate rose.

I then headed up the street to Dancing Lion Chocolate. If you’re looking to get really fancy, Dancing Lion is the place to go! The quaint little venue is one of the most luxurious places in all of Manchester. Their chocolate is expensive, but for good reason. Their chocolates are pieces of art! After tasting samples of their basic flavors, I can say that the owner certainly lives up to his title of Master Chocolatier. I highly recommended Dancing Lion if you are looking to really spoil your Valentine.

By now, I was utterly full of chocolate. But that didn't stop me from heading over to my last venue – Van Otis Chocolates. If you are looking to completely stock up on chocolate, look no further. Van Otis is famous around Manchester and for good reason. They offer a huge variety of chocolates – chocolate-covered Oreos, fresh dipped strawberries, traditional truffles and so much more. They also had the largest variety of Valentine’s Day options, ranging anywhere from customizable chocolate boxes, heart-shaped sweets and the even sweetheart wine baskets.

If for some strange reason chocolate isn't really your thing (hard to imagine, I know), I would highly recommend checking out Queen City Cupcakes. Their cupcakes are ridiculously delicious and extremely popular around Manchester.

This Valentine's Day, don’t miss out on all the great choices for chocolates and other sweets around Manchester. Spend the day roaming around and tasting samples with your Valentine, or surprise them with a special treat. Have a love-filled and chocolate-filled day and feel free to use my reviews to help you on your chocolate endeavors. After all, that chocolate tasting was hard work!

Olivia Pollock is a 2014 graduate of the Communication Arts program. This post was originally published February 12, 2014.