Graduation FAQ

Below are the most common problems students encounter at graduation time. This is not an exhaustive list but it is intended to help you monitor your own progress toward graduation. Always check with your faculty advisor or the Academic Counseling Office if you have questions.

1. Total number of credits. Students need 64 credits in the associate degree and 128 in the bachelor degree. This can sometimes confuse transfer students. UNH accepts credits from other schools as they appear on the transcript. In other words, we don’t take a three credit course from another school and increase it to four credits.

The only time UNH appears to alter a credit award from another school is when the other school operates on a system other than semester hours. In that case, the UNHM Office of Admissions converts the other school’s credits to semester hours. This is a fairly rare occurrence.

300-level courses do not count toward graduation from a bachelor degree.

2. Repeated courses. Watch out for repeated courses. Every once in a while, a student takes a course a second time because s/he doesn’t remember taking it before! Students can earn credit for the course only once. The grade earned the second time replaces the grade earned the first time, even if the second grade is lower.

Pay special attention to courses that may have originally been offered as special topics courses and are subsequently converted to permanently numbered and titled courses.

3. Number of credits in the major. Most majors specify a minimum number of credits that must be earned in the major. Transfer students need to be particularly careful. If students transfer in a 3 credit course, most majors require them to make up the credit IN THE MAJOR. Check the rule for your own major.

5. Discovery requirements (Applies to freshmen admitted fall 2010 and after and transfer students admitted fall 2011 and after. There are three requirements you should pay special attention to:

a. the Inquiry requirement. Students admitted with fewer than 58 credits are responsible for this requirement.
b. Biological and Physical sciences. Bachelor degree candidates are required to take one of each and one of them MUST have a lab. Associate degree candidates are required to take two courses from the biological sciences, physical sciences and environment, technology and society with no more than one from any single category and one must have a lab.
c. Math 418 does not fill Quantitative Reasoning.

4. General education requirements. (Applies to freshmen admitted prior to fall 2010 and to transfer students admitted prior to fall 2011)There are two to watch here.

a. Group 3 is divided into three subcategories: Biological, Physical and Technology. In the bachelor degree, students must take a course from at least two of these categories. In other words, you can’t have three T’s or three B’s or three P’s. Be particularly careful because the course prefix is not necessarily a clue to what category it falls into. For example, BSCI 421, BSCI 422 and BIOL 520 are all TECHNOLOGY courses.

Associate degree students need two courses from group 3 and may take both in the same category.

b. Math 418 does not fill Group 2, Quantitative Reasoning.

5. The foreign language requirement. Students can’t take the beginning level of a language (401-402) if they had two or more years of that language in high school; they must take an intermediate level course (503). If it has been a while since you last had the language in high school, you may need to take a review course (SPAN or FREN 403) first. You will earn elective credit for SPAN or FREN 403. Then you may go on to the 503 level to fill the foreign language requirement. You must take a placement test to enter a language course beyond the elementary level. Tests can be taken in the computer lab at any time.

The exception is that if it has been longer than 7 years, students can go back to the beginning. If you have questions about your eligibility to take the elementary level, check with your faculty advisor or with Academic Counseling.

6. Achievement standards in major. All but one major (Engineering Technology) have some sort of individual grade and GPA standard in the major – usually C or C- in major courses with an overall average of 2.0 in major courses. Some majors, like Sign Language, have higher standards. Check the standard for your major.

7. Overall GPA. All students must have a 2.0 overall gpa in order to graduate.

8. Several majors (Business, History, Humanities, Biology, CIS) have self-designed concentrations. These concentrations are developed in consultation with the faculty advisor in the major. In order to be certified for graduation, the faculty advisor must approve the concentration. Each major has a form to be filled out and signed by the faculty advisor and returned to the Academic Counseling Office.

9. Minors. If you believe you have completed the requirements for a minor you must fill out a certification of completion of minor form no later than the middle of your last semester. The form must be signed by your major advisor and the minor supervisor, then returned to Academic Counseling. Make sure to check the requirements for the minor. There is usually a minimum grade, some sort of distribution requirement across levels of courses and under no conditions may a student “double count” more than 8 credits in the major and the minor. Minor requirements can be found in the online catalog. Certification of completion of minor forms can be found at :