Student Accounts FAQ

I’m the parent of a student, and I pay the bills… why won’t the Business Office speak to me about their account?

Account information is confidential between UNH and the student.  The student may grant permission for other people to have access to this information.  A Release of Student Information Permission Form (FERPA) may be obtained in the Business Office and Registration or by visiting the ‘FERPA’ page on our website.

Who should I call if I have a question about my bill?

Please call Student Accounts at 641-4137 or 641-4329.

Please note:  At this time of year, the Business Office receives a considerable number of telephone calls.  We try to answer all calls on the day we receive them.  This is not always possible.

If your call goes to voice mail, please leave the following information:

  • Name of Student 
  • Student ID# (starts with a 9)
  • Purpose of your call
  • A telephone number where you can be reached
Why is my financial aid not on my account?

If all your paperwork has been received and processed and you have signed and returned your award letter to the Financial Aid Office, your bill should include your financial aid.  If you are expecting financial aid and it is not reflected on your bill, please call the Financial Aid office at 641-4189.

Where do I send my check payment?

Please mail your check to the following address:

UNH Manchester
Office of Student Accounts
88 Commercial Street
Manchester NH 03101

How to view & pay bill online
  • Select Billing
  • Select View Your Account/Pay Bill for real-time view of your account
  • To view your most recent bill, select Bill Statement at the upper right
I have already made Payment arrangements. (TMS payment plan, financial aid, veterans benefits, etc), why do I keep getting a bill from UNH?

Bills are automatically generated once a month. You will receive a bill notification every month via your UNH email until your account is paid off, (cleared).  Pending financial aid or arrangements with Tuition Management Systems will generally be reflected in the “memo” section of your bill, you will receive a bill every month until those payments are received.

How to update my student account with an external scholarship award/check i recieved?

All external scholarship award letters and checks should be forward to the Office of Student Accounts. Please note scholarship checks made out to UNH and the student need to be endorsed by the student before processing. Student signauture is required on the backside of the check.  

External scholarship award letters and checks can be dropped off or mailed to:

UNH Manchester
Office of Student Accounts
88 Commercial Street
Manchester NH 03101