Carolyn (White) Gamtso is the Head of Reference & Instruction at the University of New Hampshire at Manchester Library.
She is interested in creative information literacy initiatives, and enjoys working with faculty to design interactive, experiential student workshops.
She collaborates with UNH Manchester’s Center for Academic Enrichment (CAE) to train writing tutors in information literacy skills, and helps to oversee the college’s Research Mentor Program. She has shared her scholarship in the area of library instruction at local, regional, national, and international conferences, and has co-authored several articles and book chapters that discuss information literacy projects and practices. Carolyn earned a BA in English from the College of the Holy Cross, an MA in English from Indiana University, and an MLIS from the University of Rhode Island. She is an alumna of the ACRL Immersion Program (Teaching Track 2003 and Program Track 2017). She is currently working on her Doctorate in Education (EdD) at Plymouth State University.
Carolyn’s research interests include faculty/librarian classroom collaborations; peer tutoring in the library; critical pedagogy; and information literacy instruction in online environments.
- Dean’s Award for Service to the Community, UNH Manchester, 2002 (for participation in the UNH-Manchester/Parker-Varney Partnership, a school outreach program)
- Gamtso, Carolyn White and Patricia Halpin. “Tailoring Library Instruction for Non-science Majors Taking Hybrid and Online Science Classes: Student Perceptions of Information Literacy in the Virtual Environment.” Public Services Quarterly. Accepted/Forthcoming.
- Paterson, Susanne F. and Carolyn White Gamtso. “Information Literacy Instruction in an English Capstone Course: A Study of Student Confidence, Perception, and Practice. The Journal of Academic Librarianship. 43:2 (2017):143-155.
- Gamtso, Carolyn White; Rachel Blair Vogt; Nicole Chartier; Gail Fensom; Natalie Glisson; Jennifer Jefferson; and Dorothy Sherman. “Research Mentoring: Expanding the Role of Writing Tutors.” Writing Lab Newsletter. 38:1-2 (2013): 10-13.
- Paterson, Susanne F. and Carolyn White Gamtso. “Guiding Students from Consuming Information to Creating Knowledge: A Freshman English Library Instruction Collaboration.” Communications in Information Literacy (CIL). 5:2 (2011): 117-126.
- Fensom, Gail; Regina McCarthy; Kirsten Rundquist, Dorothy Sherman, and Carolyn B. White. “Navigating Research Waters: The Research Mentor Program at the University of New Hampshire at Manchester.” College & Undergraduate Libraries. 13.2 (2006): 49-74.
- Paterson, Susanne F., and Carolyn B. White. “Rethinking the Paradigms: Toward a New Vision of Libraries and Student Learning.” The International Journal of Learning. 12.5 (2005/2006).
- Paterson, Susanne, and Carolyn White. “A Collaborative Approach to Information Literacy.” Academic Exchange Quarterly (AEQ), Volume 8, Issue 4, Winter 2004.
- Donahue, Annie; Kim Donovan; and Carolyn Gamtso. "The Research Mentor Program at University of New Hampshire/Manchester Library." Peer Assisted Learning in Academic Libraries. Ed. Erin Rinto. ABC-CLIO, 2017.
- Gamtso, Carolyn White; Annie Donahue; and Kim Donovan. “The Research Mentor Program at UNH Manchester: Peer Learning Partnerships.” Training Research Consultants: A Guide for Academic Libraries. Association of College & Research Libraries, 2017. Ed. Mary O’Kelly. In press.
- Gamtso, Carolyn White, Rachel Blair Vogt, Annie Donahue, Kimberly Donovan, and Jennifer Jefferson. “Librarian and Peer Research Mentor Partnerships that Promote Student Success.” Space and Organizational Considerations in Academic library Partnerships and Collaborations. Ed. Brian Doherty. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference (IGI Global): 2016.
- Gamtso, Carolyn, Melissa Mannon, and Sandy Whipple. “The New Hampshire Human Library Project: Breaking Barriers and Building Bridges by Engaging Communities of Learners.” The Experiential Library: Transforming Academic and Research Libraries through the Power of Experiential Learning. Ed. Peter McDonnell. Cambridge, MA: Chandos Publishing (Elsevier): 2016.
- White, Carolyn and Margaret Pobywajlo. “A Library, Learning Center, & Classroom Collaboration: A Case Study.” Centers for Learning: Writing Centers and Libraries in Collaboration. Ed. James K. Elmborg and Sheril Hook. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries, 2005.
- Master of Library and Information Studies, University of Rhode Island, 1997
- Master of Arts in English, Indiana University, 1991
- Bachelor of Arts in English, College of the Holy Cross, 1989
Education in Exile: Teaching in a Tibetan Refugee Community in the Himalayas
Calming the Mind, Healing the Body: Can alternative therapies help college students improve their health?
- Term Papers, Google, and Library Anxiety: How can information literacy improve students’ research skills?