Administration & Supervision Option in Leadership in Counseling (Ed.S.)

Administration & Supervision Option in Leadership in Counseling (Ed.S.)

Administration and supervision counseling

Designed to meet the requirements for certification by the New Hampshire State Department of Education for Guidance and Counseling Director

Why get an administration and supervision Ed.S. with an option in leadership in counseling?

The leadership in counseling option in UNH’s administration and supervision education specialist program is a post-master’s degree that will help you take your career to the next level while also having a positive impact on the lives of students. You’ll study human resources in education, school law, educational evaluation, policy, politics and planning in education, and leadership. You’ll also complete an administrative internship with a practicing director of counseling that will help you meet state certification requirements. Students applying for the program must have a master’s degree in counseling and certification as a school counselor. 

Why choose UNH for your education specialist degree? 

Our graduate education specialist program is offered through both our Durham and Manchester campuses, and you’ll be able to take classes at either location. A part-time option is available in Manchester. Several courses are offered in a hybrid format. The curriculum content of our M.Ed. and Ed.S. degrees is consistent with and keyed to the National Policy Board for Educational Administration. The standards include knowledge and skills in strategic leadership, instructional leadership, organizational leadership, political and community leadership, and internship. A Ph.D. in education with a specialization in leadership and policy studies is also available. 

Potential career areas

  • Educational administration 
  • Educational leadership 
  • Private industry educational specialist 
  • Research 
  • School counselor 
  • School psychologist 
  • State department of education personnel


Request Information

Curriculum & Requirements

The Education Specialist degree (Ed.S.) option in Leadership in Counseling requires a minimum of thirty-­six (36) credits in counseling and administration coursework. The program is designed to meet the requirements for certification by the New Hampshire State Department of Education for Guidance and Counseling Director. Certification has not yet been approved by the New Hampshire State department of Education. Graduate students interested in New Hampshire certification must discuss this option with the faculty advisor prior to starting the program.

Admission Requirements

Applicants to the program must possess a master’s degree in counseling and hold certification as a school counselor. The applicant must also have completed a minimum of three years of paid service with progressively responsible experience in the field of school guidance and counseling, with recent leadership experience.

Course Credits

The option in Leadership and Counseling requires a minimum of 36 credits. However, if prerequisites listed below have not been met prior to admission to the program, the total number of credits may exceed the minimum of 36 credits.


The following three courses, or their equivalents, must be completed before the required courses can be taken:
EDUC 919Counseling Practicum: Professional and Ethical Orientation4
EDUC 932Society and Culture: Contemporary Issues in Counseling4
EDUC 933Developmental Models of Comprehensive School Guidance4
Total Credits12


Required Courses
EDUC 964Human Resources in Education4
EDUC 967School Law4
EDUC 972Introduction to Educational Evaluation4
EDUC 973Policy, Politics, and Planning in Education4
EDUC 977Leadership: The District Level Administrator4
EDUC 974/975Educational Administrative Internship 14
Select eight credits (approval of advisor) 28
Total Credits32

Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: Aug. 15
  • Spring: Jan. 15
  • Summer: May 15
  • Special: N/A

Application fee: $65

Campus: Manchester

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters Eligible: No

New Hampshire Residents

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. 

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of recommendation: 3 required

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions

Prepare a brief but careful statement regarding:

  1. Reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives.
  2. Your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.

Department Requirements

Applicants must also possess a Master's Degree in Educational Administration or the equivalent

Important Notes

All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

International Applicants

The University of New Hampshire recommends that international applicants who are living outside of the United States, and are planning on pursuing a research based degree, submit a preapplication form before submitting a full application. Your preapplication request will be carefully reviewed and a decision usually provided within 3 weeks. If your preapplication is approved then it is recommended you then submit a full application. If you are currently living in the United States (on a H1B visa, etc.), or you plan on pursuing a professional master’s degree, then you do not need to submit a preapplication.

Prospective international students are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent examination scores. English Language Exams may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.

This program is normally not available to international applicants who are currently living outside of the U.S.