Types of Aid

Each student is different, with unique needs, goals and resources.

From grants to loans to scholarships, there are a variety of financial aid options designed to help you fund your education. Explore the different aid types below to determine which options best meet your needs.

Just Announced: Tuition-free plan for first-year, Pell-eligible students.
Learn more about Granite Guarantee

Contact Financial Aid

Student Services Suite, 405F



Federal Grants

Pell Grants
Pell Grants are designed to assist students demonstrating exceptional financial need. Currently, grants range from $290-$5,775.

Tuition-free plan for first year, Pell-eligible students.  Learn more about Granite Guarantee.

Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant

The Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is available to undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional financial need, and have filed a FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 1. Grants range from $100 to $2,250 per year.

Federal Loans

Perkins Loan Program
The Perkins Loan Program is a low-interest loan for students who demonstrate financial need and have filed a FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 1. The interest rate is fixed at 5% for the life of the loan. Repayment and interest accumulation begins nine months after a student ceases to attend college at least half-time.
Subsidized Federal Direct Loan

The Subsidized Federal Direct Loan is a low-interest loan made to a student borrower by the Department of Education.

  • First-year undergraduate students may borrow up to $5,500 per academic year. No more than $3,500 of this amount can be in subsidized loans.
  • Second-year undergraduate students may borrow up to $6,500 per academic year. No more than $4,500 of this amount can be in subsidized loans.
  • Third and fourth-year undergraduate students may borrow up to $7,500 per academic year. No more than $5,500 of this amount can be in subsidized loan
The overall maximum debt for undergraduate dependent students is $31,000. Subsidized Federal Direct Loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2015, carry a fixed interest rate of 4.29%. The federal government pays the interest on this loan while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Repayment and interest accumulation begins six months after a student ceases to attend college at least half-time.
Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans

An Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan is available to students regardless of financial need. Currently Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans carry a fixed interest rate of 4.2% and have the same terms and conditions as the Subsidized Federal Direct Loan, except that the borrower is responsible for interest that accrues while he or she is in school. The interest can be paid quarterly or can be capitalized; meaning the interest will build on the principle. Dependent borrowers may receive both subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans totaling up to the applicable loan limit if they do not qualify for the full amount under the subsidized program.

In addition to the borrowing limits established for dependent students, independent undergraduate and graduate students may be eligible to borrow up to:

  • An additional $4,000 per year during the first and second year
  • Up to $5,000 per year for undergraduates in their third year and beyond (the aggregate total for independent undergraduates is $57,500)
Direct PLUS Loan

Direct PLUS Loans are loans parents can take out to help pay educational costs for their dependent undergraduate students who are enrolled at least half-time in a degree program. It is not necessary to demonstrate financial need in order to receive a PLUS loan, however students must have filed FAFSA before a parent can apply. The maximum PLUS Loan amount that parents can borrow on a yearly basis is the cost of education minus any other financial aid received. Parents must meet established credit criteria.

The interest rate for Direct PLUS is fixed at 6.84%. There is a loan fee of 4.272% of the principal amount charged for each Direct PLUS Loan borrowed. The fee will be applied before any loan money is received. Parent PLUS loan Borrowers enter repayment 60 days after the date of the final loan disbursement. However borrowers may choose to have repayment deferred while the student for whom the parent borrowed is enrolled at least half-time until six months after the student's final date of half-time enrollment. Interest that accrues during these periods will be capitalized if not paid by the borrower.

To apply for the Direct PLUS loan, parents need to complete a Direct PLUS Loan Request Form. A parent can log into the website using the FSA ID used to sign the FAFSA and select "request a PLUS loan." The borrower (parent) can then indicate the requested loan amount and submit the request for review.

In addition to the request form, all first time PLUS loan borrowers will need to complete a MasterPromissory Note (MPN) at the Department of Education website. The MPN can be signed electronicallywith your federal FSA ID. If you do not already have a FSA ID, you can go to http://www.pin.ed.gov.

You have many options when it comes to loans, and we’ve included a partial list of private, non-federalloans below that may help you finance your education. Because alternative loans can carry higher interest rates than the federal counterparts, we recommend exploring all other forms of self-help and federal loan options before considering alternative options.

This is not an all-inclusive list of loan products available — there are a variety of banks and private lenders who offer alternative loans for financing educational costs, and you have the right to use any lender product you prefer. UNH has a formal process which reviews different loans offered by private lenders and has selected these lenders based on their competitive rates, borrower benefits and superior customer service. UNH provides the following for informational purposes only — the University does notendorse any of the loans listed below, nor does it receive benefits from the lenders listed.

As a student, it is important to research and understand the terms and conditions of each loan in orderto determine if the program is a good option for you. Please be aware of the specific program requirements when applying for all loans.

Smart Option Student Loan 

salliemae.com/unh  |  1-800-472-5543  |  Instructions & Disclosure 

  • Undergraduate, graduate or non-degree students 
  • Enrolled at least half time 
  • Minimum loan amount of $1,000 

Citizens Bank Student Loan™

citizensbank.com/student-loans/  |  1-800-708-6684  |  Instructions & Disclosure

  • Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a degree program
  • Enrolled at least half time
  • Minimum loan amount of $1,000

Discover Student Loan 

discoverstudentloans.com  |  1-800-788-3368  |  Instructions & Disclosure 

  • Admitted undergraduate, graduate and non-degree students maintaining satisfactory academic progress 
  • Enrolled at least half-time 
  • Minimum loan amount of $1,000 

EDvestinU Private Student Loan

Edvestinu.com  |  1-855-887-5430  |  Instructions & Disclosure 

  • Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a degree program 
  • Enrolled at least half-time 
  • Minimum loan amount of $1,000 

Listed below are various types of educational assistance available through the state of New Hampshire or through the federal government for special categories of students. The university does not administer these funds, but eligible students may use them to meet educational costs at UNH Manchester. 

New Hampshire State Aid Programs 

The New England Regional Student Program (NERSP) 

The NERSP allows students from the six New England states, who are enrolled in some programs not offered by their home-state public colleges or universities, to pay a reduced out-of-state tuition rate. Learn more about which UNH Manchester programs qualify. 

New Hampshire Charitable Foundation  

New Hampshire residents pursuing undergraduate or graduate study at approved institutions of postsecondary education are eligible to apply for grants, interest-free and low-interest loans from this fund. Information and applications are available from the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation Student Aid Program, 37 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301, or online at www.nhcf.org. 

Military/Veteran-related Aid Programs

POW/MIA Children's Benefits 

Children of persons domiciled in New Hampshire while serving in the U.S. armed forces after February 28, 1961, who were officially interned or missing in action during the Southeast Asian conflict are eligible to receive full tuition at UNH Manchester. For more information, speak to your high school guidance counselor, the trustees of the University System or the State Board of Education in Concord, N.H. 

War Orphans Benefits  

Residents of New Hampshire age 16 to 25 whose veteran parent(s) died as a result of service in World War I, World War II, the Korean conflict, Vietnam or Gulf wars and whose veteran parent(s) were legal residents of New Hampshire at the time of death are eligible to receive full tuition at UNH and a maximum of $2,500 per year for room, board, books and supplies. For more information, contact the Department of education at 101 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301 or online here.

Veterans Educational Assistance Benefits (VEAP)

Students should contact their local Veterans Administration if they think they may be eligible for assistance in any of the following categories: 

  • Children, spouses, widows or widowers of veterans who died or were permanently and totally disabled in or as the result of service in the armed forces of the U.S. 
  • Children of servicemen missing in action or prisoners of war for more than 90 days 
  • Qualified servicemen or servicewomen now in civilian life who were on continuous active duty for at least 181 days ending after January 31, 1955, or are on active duty in the armed forces now. 
Veteran's Benefits Payments 

Veterans and their dependents should investigate their eligibility for veteran's benefits payments. Questions may be addressed to any local Veteran's Administration Office, or to: Lonn Sattler, UNH Veterans Coordinator, Registrar's Office - Stoke Hall, Durham, NH 03824, by phone at 603-862-1695 or via email at lonn.sattler@unh.edu. 

Vocational Rehabilitation Program 

Every state operates a vocational rehabilitation program to assist people with disabilities to return to productive activity. In certain cases, a vocational rehabilitation agency will assist students with disabilities to meet college expenses. Students should contact their local agencies. For New Hampshire residents, please visit this website for more information.