Jose Cintron Ortiz

Student veterans are a diverse group of ambitious, mission-driven individuals—drawn to higher education for different reasons, but with the shared mission of achieving their academic and professional goals. In honor of Veterans Day, we spoke with U.S. Marine Corps veteran and business major Jose Cintron-Ortiz about his college experience.

What did you do in the military prior to coming to UNH Manchester?

I served in the United States Marine Corps as a Training Supervisor for my department. I oversaw the planning and execution of over 100 personnel with their personal professional development, such as assisting with service schools, seminars and Marine Corps training. While being stationed in Marine Corps Base Quantico Virginia, I was able to adapt to a fast-paced environment, bringing a progressive thinking approach and communication.

Describe your path to UNH Manchester.

I chose UNH Manchester because of the community being able to help others that are nontraditional students like myself feel at home. I got to meet new people that had shared interests, and the student to professor ratio is great because I can get to know my professors and meet with them if needed. I moved back from Virginia to New Hampshire because of the excellent faculty and community that thrives on the success of its students.

Why did you choose your major?

I chose my business major because I’ve always had interest in pursuing my own business, the program offers the skills necessary to become an entrepeneur.

How do you apply your military experience to your education here?

Having the discipline and mental strength from the Marines to push myself to the limit despite not knowing what's to come has made me grow significantly this semester.

What are your hopes for after graduation?

I hope to make a significant contribution to UNH Manchester the same way it helped me growth.

How has your experience in the military and at UNH Manchester prepared you for your future?

Both the military and UNH Manchester have prepared me so far to accept the unknown and be willing to take risks. Being open to change isn’t easy and can be done if you put aside that thinking.

What advice would you give to veterans who are thinking about pursuing a college education?

The biggest advice to other veterans is to reach for your potential, each one of you brings a one-of-a-kind perspective that can inspire others. There’s no perfect time to get an education degree, each one of us is in a race against our better selves and we must thrive to be exemplary leaders to our communities, families and ourselves. Get involved with the Veterans of America Chapter at UNH Manchester to connect with other veterans. It’s never too late to start a new chapter in your life, the ball is in your court.

What has been the most rewarding part of your UNH Manchester experience so far?

The most rewarding part of UNH Manchester has been being involved in Student Government as the Facilities Chairman to tackle issues such as expansion of parking and representing the student population. Helping reorganize, with the assistance of other veteran students, the Veterans Chapter of America at UNH Manchester to share resources needed for our military community to become successful in life.

Anything you’d like people to know about the life of a student veteran?

As a student veteran you have the support of other veterans that can help you and provide peer support to make sure no man or woman is left behind. The key to success as a student at UNH relies on letting others help you, whenever you feel unsure of the steps you must take to succeed.

From all of us at UNH Manchester, thank you—today and every day—to those who have served, continue to serve or sacrificed their lives for our country.

Tags