Dean Mike Decelle hands student diploma on stage


Important Things to Know

There is a distinction between Applying to Graduate and participating in the Commencement Ceremony. You are only graduated after the Registration Office has certified that you have successfully completed all of your degree requirements. Participating in the Commencement Ceremony is simply the act of honoring and celebrating academic achievement at the ceremony held in May.

Contact Us

Phone: (603) 641-4136
Fax: (603) 641-4125

Graduation Dates

The University has three possible graduation dates each year:

  • May (The actual date will correspond with the Commencement ceremony date for that year.)
  • September 1st (No ceremony)
  • December 31st (No ceremony)

Please NOTE: There is only one Commencement ceremony each year and it is in May. Click here to learn more about the Commencement ceremony.

To correctly apply to graduate in Webcat, you must select the term that corresponds to the semester in which you will have completed all of your degree requirements:

  • Choose “SPRING” if you will finish your degree requirements with January Term classes; the graduation date on your diploma will correspond to the May Commencement ceremony date.
  • Choose “SPRING” if you will finish your degree requirements in the spring semester; the graduation date on your diploma will correspond to the May Commencement ceremony date.
  • Choose “SUMMER” if you will finish your degree requirements any time during the Summer Session; the graduation date on your diploma will be September 1st.
  • Choose “FALL” if you will finish your degree requirements in the fall semester; the graduation date on your diploma will be December 31st.

Apply to Graduate

Students must Apply to Graduate at the beginning of their final semester of study.

Forms may be filed electronically through MyUNH / Webcat. The deadline for filing is 30 days after the start of the semester (which is also the last day to drop classes for the semester). 

If you are unable to file electronically through Webcat, please contact the Registration Office for more information on how to file through a paper form.

When you apply to graduate, you are informing the Registration Office of the term you expect to complete all of your degree requirements. This is not the same as participating in the May commencement ceremony. You must apply to graduate at the beginning of your final semester or you will not be reviewed for graduation.

How to Apply

Apply to graduate on Webcat (Student Records> Graduation> Apply to Graduate) by following these steps

  • Click the “Apply to Graduate” link. This brings you to the "Curriculum Term Selection" menu. This may NOT display the term you plan on graduating. This menu determines what program(s) you are currently active in that you may apply to graduate from. Select the term that is closest to whatever the current term is. e.g. if you are filing your intent in April of 2018 then you would select the term closest to Spring 2018. Click the "Submit" button.
  • The next screen, "Curriculum Selection," will show all the program(s) you are eligible to graduate from based on the term you just selected in step 1. If you do not see your program try returning to the previous menu and verify you have selected the correct term.
  • Select the degree you wish to file for and click the "Continue" button.
  • You are now at the "Graduation Date Selection." This is where you pick the term/date you actually plan to graduate (please refer to the Three Graduation Dates section above if you need further assistance).
  • The remaining screens are self-explanatory. You will be shown your name as it will appear on your diploma (contact the Registration Office if you need to make any changes to your name), then you may select an existing address to use as your diploma address or you may enter a new one. Diplomas are mailed at least 8 to 12 weeks after graduation, so be sure the address will be valid then.
  • When done, review all the information you submitted for accuracy.

You may view your application to graduate on Webcat (Student Records> Graduation> View Application to Graduate) at any time after you file it.

Change your application

Once you have applied to graduate on Webcat you will not be able to change your intended date of graduation in Webcat. If you need to change your intended graduation date, please contact the Registration Office.

How Can I Tell if I’m Graduated?

Roughly four weeks after the date of graduation, check your Academic Transcript on Webcat (Student Records> Transcript> Academic Transcript) and look at DEGREES AWARDED. When you see the “Degree Date” has the date of your graduation, you will know that you are graduated. If you do not see a date of graduation then our office has most likely been in touch with you to resolve the situation.

Graduation FAQ's

Below are the most common problems students encounter at graduation time. This is not an exhaustive list but it is intended to help you monitor your own progress toward graduation. Always check with your faculty advisor or the Academic Advising Office if you have questions.

  1. Total number of credits. Students need 64 credits in the associate degree and 128 in the bachelor degree. This can sometimes confuse transfer students. UNH accepts credits from other schools as they appear on the transcript. In other words, we do not take a three credit course from another school and increase it to four credits.
    • The only time UNH appears to alter a credit award from another school is when the other school operates on a system other than semester hours. In that case, the UNH Manchester Office of Admissions converts the other school’s credits to semester hours. This is a fairly rare occurrence.
    • 300-level courses do not count toward graduation from a bachelor degree.
  2. Repeated courses. Watch out for repeated courses. Every once in a while, a student takes a course a second time because s/he does not remember taking it before! Students can earn credit for the course only once. The grade earned the second time replaces the grade earned the first time, even if the second grade is lower.
    • Pay special attention to courses that may have originally been offered as special topics courses and are subsequently converted to permanently numbered and titled courses.
  3. Number of credits in the major. Most majors specify a minimum number of credits that must be earned in the major. Transfer students need to be particularly careful. If students transfer in a 3 credit course, most majors require them to make up the credit IN THE MAJOR. Check the rule for your own major.
  4. Discovery requirements (Applies to freshmen admitted fall 2010 and after and transfer students admitted fall 2011 and after. There are three requirements you should pay special attention to:
    • A. the Inquiry requirement. Students admitted with fewer than 26 credits are responsible for this requirement.
    • B. Biological and Physical sciences. Bachelor degree candidates are required to take one of each and one of them MUST have a lab. Associate degree candidates are required to take two courses from the biological sciences, physical sciences and environment, technology and society with no more than one from any single category and one must have a lab.
    • C. Math 418 does not fill Quantitative Reasoning.
  5. General education requirements. (Applies to freshmen admitted prior to fall 2010 and to transfer students admitted prior to fall 2011). There are two to watch here.
    • A. Group 3 is divided into three subcategories: Biological, Physical and Technology. In the bachelor degree, students must take a course from at least two of these categories. In other words, you can’t have three T’s or three B’s or three P’s. Be particularly careful because the course prefix is not necessarily a clue to what category it falls into. For example, BSCI 421, BSCI 422 and BIOL 520 are all TECHNOLOGY courses.
    • Associate degree students need two courses from group 3 and may take both in the same category.
    • B. Math 418 does not fill Group 2, Quantitative Reasoning.
  6. The foreign language requirement. Students cannot take the beginning level of a language (401-402) if they had two or more years of that language in high school; they must take an intermediate level course (503). If it has been a while since you last had the language in high school, you may need to take a review course (SPAN or FREN 403) first. You will earn elective credit for SPAN or FREN 403. Then you may go on to the 503 level to fill the foreign language requirement. You must take a placement test to enter a language course beyond the elementary level. Tests can be taken online at any time- contact the Academic Advising Office for more information.
    • The exception is that if it has been longer than 5 years, students can go back to the beginning. If you have questions about your eligibility to take the elementary level, check with your faculty advisor or with Academic Advising.
  7. Achievement standards in major. Most majors have some sort of individual grade and GPA standard in the major – usually C or C- in major courses with an overall average of 2.0 in major courses. Some majors, like Sign Language, have higher standards. Check the standard for your major.
  8. Overall GPA. All students must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA in order to graduate.
  9. Several majors (Business, History, Humanities, Biology, CIS) have self-designed concentrations. These concentrations are developed in consultation with the faculty advisor in the major. In order to be certified for graduation, the faculty advisor must approve the concentration. Each major has a form to be filled out and signed by the faculty advisor and returned to the Academic Advising Office.
  10. Minors. If you believe you have completed the requirements for a minor you must fill out a certification of completion of minor form no later than the middle of your last semester. The form must be signed by your major advisor and the minor supervisor, then returned to Registration Office. Make sure to check the requirements for the minor. There is usually a minimum grade, some sort of distribution requirement across levels of courses and under no conditions may a student “double count” more than 8 credits in the major and the minor. Minor requirements can be found in the online catalog.  Certification of completion of minor forms.
  11. Incompletes. Students cannot graduate with an incomplete (IC) on their records. If you have an incomplete grade in a course at the time final grades are posted you must file a new intent to graduate form for the following semester.
  12. Honors at Graduation. Honors at graduation are different from semester honors. To graduate with honors, bachelor degree students must have earned 64 GRADED UNH credits. Associate degree students need 32 GRADED UNH credits. Information about honors at graduation is included with the graduation review mailing.

    Honors at Graduation

    • Baccalaureate degree candidates who have earned honors for their entire work at the University will be graduated with honors based on the final cumulative grade-point average, provided that a minimum of 64 graded semester hours has been completed in University of New Hampshire courses. The Latin equivalent of the honors classification will appear on the student's academic record and diploma.
    • Associate degree candidates who have earned honors for their entire work at the University will be graduated with honors based on the final cumulative grade-point average, provided that a minimum of 32 graded semester hours has been completed in University of New Hampshire courses. The English equivalent of the honors classification will appear on the student's academic record and diploma.
    • Beginning with those graduating in December 2015 (regardless of year of admission) the standards for honors at graduation will be as follows:
      3.50 – 3.64 honors/cum laude
      3.65 – 3.84 high honors/magna cum laude
      3.85 – 4.00 highest honors/summa cum laude
    • Every three years after that, the honors GPAs will be recalibrated to reflect the top 5%, 15% and 25% across all colleges of the University.
    • Note: CR/F and P/F courses are not graded courses for purposes of honors designation.
  13. Diplomas. Final graduation certification takes place after final semester grades are posted. Diplomas are mailed approximately 8-12 weeks later. The ordering of diplomas is handled through the Graduation Office in Durham. Students who have Financial Aid Exit Counseling holds or who owe the university money will not have their diplomas ordered until the holds have been cleared. When you have taken care of a hold on your account, please notify the Graduation Office by emailing so that they can order your diploma.
  14. Commencement. Please note that “walking” in the Commencement ceremony does not mean you have graduated. Graduating is an academic action which takes place only after successful completion of all UNH degree requirements. Commencement is a ceremony coordinated by Dana Pierce in the UNH Manchester Marketing Department. Your actual graduation is processed by the Registration Office.