Housing & Dining


Downtown Commons is currently at capacity for the fall 2020 semester.  Housing applications received on or after Monday, June 8th, will be put on a waitlist. Students on the waitlist will be notified by August 17, 2020, if space becomes available. Please contact Lisa Enright lisa.enright@unh.edu if you have questions.

On-Campus Housing: UNH Downtown Commons

Welcome! We are glad you are interested in on-campus housing at UNH Manchester.

Located at 1000 Elm Street, UNH Downtown Commons offers double and triple rooms, on-site dining, laundry facilities, cable TV, internet and more. The residence hall is just a 14-minute walk to campus, and only steps from downtown Manchester’s vibrant restaurants, shops and nightlife.

We’ve also partnered with New England College to offer 10- or 19-meals-per-week plans in the NEC dining hall, located on-site at 1000 Elm.

You must be an accepted full-time student (enrolled in 12 or more credits) or be a full-time graduate student to receive an offer of housing. Offers are made via email on a space-available basis.  Once you complete the online application and submit your $200 deposit, check your UNH email frequently and respond to our offer so we know you accept!  Students who accept our offer of on-campus housing agree to the terms of the Room & Board Agreement.

Contact the office of admissions for more information


Incoming students are sent offers of housing on a space-available basis. Your application will only be reviewed once a completed application is submitted online and a $200 deposit is made to your UNH Webcat account. MCC and NCC students submit your $200 deposit online through this link at Destiny One, and associate the group code # G000768 to your profile before check out.

Interested in becoming a Resident Assistant (RA)? Opportunities to apply for an Academic Year 2020-2021 RA position will become available on February 15, 2020 and close on March 13, 2020 at 4pm. 

The RA positions are for an academic year appointment (August 17, 2020 – May 15, 2021 – subject to change based on actual training dates to be scheduled).  The work schedule is approximately 20 hours/week which includes weekly on-duty hours and rotating week-end on-duty shifts, including the holiday breaks (Thanksgiving, Winter break, and Spring break).  Total compensation includes Room & Board at the double room rate with a 19 meal/week meal plan while classes are in session.  APPLY TO BECOME A RESIDENT ASSISTANT

2020-2021 Housing Rates
Room Rates Per Semester Academic Year
Double room  $3,830 $7,660
Triple/Quad $3,323 $6,646

You must be an accepted full-time student (enrolled in 12 or more credits) or be a full-time graduate student to receive an offer of housing.  Offers for housing are made via email on a space-available basis.  Students who accept our offer of on-campus housing agree to the terms of the Room & Board Agreement.

2020-2021 Dining Plans Rates:
Meal Plan Rates Per Semester Academic Year
10 meals/week $1,875 $3,750
19 meals/week $2,145 $4,290

Cat's Cache provides cashless access to products and services at UNH Manchester and Durham 

Cat’s Cache is a debit account encoded on your UNH Manchester ID card. All ID holders have a Cat's Cache account that can be used as soon as a deposit is made to the account. In order to use online account management features, you must log into MyUNH and select the “Cat’s Cache” tab. Once that is accomplished, you can view transactions, statements and balances, make deposits and suspend a lost or stolen card.

  • No minimum balance
  • No fees of any kind
  • Fully refundable without penalty (entire balance must be refunded at once) 

Cat's Cache is intended for purchases and not for cash withdrawal as an ATM card would allow.

Cat's Cache is available to any student, faculty or staff member.

When you use Cat's Cache to make a purchase, your UNH ID card is swiped through a card reader. The amount of the purchase is deducted from your account balance and the new balance is displayed and/or printed on your receipt.

How Do I Make Deposits?

With Cat's Cache, family or friends can make online deposits into student accounts using our "Guest Deposit" feature. The Guest can make an online deposit by entering the student first name, last name and the students UNH username. Students can also use cash, credit cards or debit cards at our Cat’s Cache Kiosk located on the 2nd floor by the Cafe.

Lost or Stolen Card

If a card is lost it should be suspend immediately using the following steps.

  1. Report lost / stolen card immediately by logging into https://my.unh.edu/ and selecting the “Cat’s Cache” tab.
  2. Report to UNH Manchester Security Services and Info Desk to request replacement ID card. Only the balance on the card at the time the card was suspended can be protected.
Where Cat's Cache is Accepted

Locations Accepting Cat's Cache at UNH Manchester:

  • Vending Machines
  • Cafe
  • Student Printing and Copying

Locations accepting Cat’s Cache on and off campus in Durham.

Please Note: Cat's Cache cannot be used for alcohol or tobacco purchases.

Your Cat's Cache "Campus ID Number" is your assigned UNH ID number.

2019-2020 Residence Hall Move-In/Move-Out Times

Thu. Aug. 22, 2019

First-year and transfer students

Open 9:00 am – TBD

Sat. Aug 24, 2019

Returning students

Open 9:00 am

Wed. Nov 27, 2019

Thanksgiving Break

Close 10:00 am

Sun. Dec 1, 2019


Open 9:00 am

Tue. Dec 17, 2019

Winter Break

Close 6:00 pm

Sat. Jan 18, 2020


Open 9:00 am

Fri. Mar 13, 2020

Spring Break

Close 6:00 pm

Sun. Mar 20, 2020


Open 9:00 am

Thu. May 14, 2020

Non-graduating students

Close 12:00 pm

Sat. May 16, 2020

Graduating students only

Close 12:00 pm

New for Academic Year 2020-2021

The residence hall will not be open during the academic break periods since students are expected not to return to campus after Thanksgiving.


A cancellation charge will be applied to your student account if you withdraw your commitment to 2019-2020 on-campus housing after accepting our housing offer. The cancellation charge schedule is outlined below. Full description and terms are contained in the Room and Board Agreement.

Full Academic Year Student Request

If released, student financial

By June 1st


By July 1st


By August 15th


By first week of fall classes

25% of fall semester housing fee

By 30 days into fall semester

50% of fall semester housing fee

After 30 days into fall semester

100% of fall semester housing fee

Spring Semester Only Student Request

If released, student financial

By January 1st


By first week of spring classes

25% of spring semester housing fee

By 30 days into spring semester

50% of spring semester housing fee

After 30 days into spring semester

100% spring semester housing fee


The refund schedule is as follows: the end of the first week of the semester, a 100% refund will apply, by the end of the second week, an 80% refund will apply, by the end of the third week, a 50% refund will apply, by the end of the fourth week, a 74% refund will apply, and after the fourth week no refund will be given.  Dining plan weeks run Friday through Thursday.

Parking is private – there is a garage on-site and rental is handled by the building manager not UNH.  There are also other public garages with monthly rentals available within close proximity

Parking passes in the 6 story garage at the monthly rate of $100/month (else $16/day) and would have to be reserved with a credit card as the card will be auto-charged at the beginning of each month.  There is also an initial $50 fee for the cost of the card itself.   Parking is first-come first-served basis as this garage also allows daily public parking.  

Please fill out the parking application for the Canal Street parking garage.

The primary contact for parking agreements and obtaining parking passes will be Scott Barry at 603-703-8457 and sbarry@bradysullivan.com, please contact him directly with any questions.

Alternative Manchester city parking options


Self-identifying with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is the first step in both gathering useful information – what SAS offers & what other resources exist – and establishing accommodations. You will need to provide documentation, make an appointment to review/discuss it, and identify appropriate accommodations. Please see the Documentation Guidelines for direction on what to provide. If you are unsure, submit/bring whatever you may have so we can review and evaluate it.

To get accommodation letters set-up:

  • Complete the Online Intake via Clockwork
  • Schedule an appointment to meet with a SAS staff member (this can be face-to-face or via SKYPE/ZOOM)

There is no deadline to make contact with SAS, complete the Online Intake, or provide documentation to SAS. The process of identifying and determining accommodations is an ongoing conversation. Students should provide additional documentation and/or talk with SAS as concerns and needs arise, or as the condition of the disability changes.

As part of our effort to be paperless, all documentation should be submitted via ClockWork (in electronic format). Please do not send disability-related documentation to Admissions or Housing. SAS is the central location for this information.

Learn more about academic accessibility

Can I cook in my room?

Cooking is prohibited in student rooms in the residence halls and allowed only in designated kitchen units or facilities.

Can I replace my furniture?

Students may not remove or store furnishings provided by the university and may not replace them with other items owned or rented by the student. The Department of Housing will not remove or store the standard university furnishings. Public area or lounge furnishings shall not be moved into a student’s room.

Damage Billing

The UNH Housing does not collect nor require a damage deposit when a resident accepts on-campus housing; instead we bill for each incident that occurs. It is our belief this encourages a sense of ownership in the building by the residents and improves everyone's ability to control costs. All efforts are taken to identify the individual (s) responsible for the damage, however, if it is not possible to identify the responsible party the damage fee will be billed proportionately to all dorm residents.

Common damage billing fees

Extra Cleaning

Charge: $20 minimum -or- billed by the hour 


Minimum charge $20. Trash can leak and create unsanitary conditions, and it has the potential to be a fire hazard. Students are responsible for disposing their own trash in the approved receptacles provided.

Biohazardous Matter

Minimum of $100 per instance.

The following are chargeable: 

Urine, feces, condoms or vomit

  • Any matter found in the UNH housing facilities. (depending on the situation, may become a criminal investigation with the UNH Police Department)


  • Any blood clean up in bathrooms, hallways, walls, carpet, lounges, etc. If the incident was accidental and an attempt was made to clean up, no charge will occur. Situations that are accidental will be looked upon differently than ones that are purposeful. For example, a person who had a nose bleed and bled in the bathroom will be treated differently than an injury, resulting in blood loss, due to drunkenness or violence.
Lock & Combinations Changes
  • Combination change - $25
  • Damaged key pad unit - $800
  • Damaged swipe card reader - $400-$800
Room Cleaning

$50 minimum -for students leaving for the year and did not clean their rooms

Other charges
  • Damaged exit alarm unit - $250 - $500
  • Life safety equipment (fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, etc.) tampering - $100


What you can't do.
  • Remove any item of university equipment/furniture from the room or premises
  • Alter or replace the locks or install your own locks or security devices
  • Make any structural or electrical alterations to the room
  • Use nails, screws, bolts or decals on the furniture, walls, doors, woodwork, ceiling or floors
  • Build partitions or make alterations to the furniture.
What you can use to hang stuff.

Tape that doesn't remove the paint and wall finish, poster tacks, and removable mounting products.

Fire Hazards and Violations

  • Hazardous electrical items - Hotplates, toaster ovens, toasters, electric heaters (unless provided by the university), any item with a heating coil (i.e. sandwich and grill makers and non-UL approved appliances) are all strictly prohibited. These items have heated exposed surfaces which have caused fires in the past. Appliances which can be used in individual rooms, but cannot be left plugged in unattended include curling irons, coffee makers, irons, and hot pots. A violation for these items occurs when an appliance is left plugged in and unattended.
  • Overloaded electrical receptacles or extension cords - An individual room having multiple plugs leading to the same outlet causing more than 15 amps of power to be drawn is dangerous and should be avoided. This situation is usually caused by too many plugs in one outlet. Power strips, splitters, or cube taps are acceptable, but only if they have a fuse or circuit breaker. Power strips may not be plugged into a normal extension cord. The power strip cord must be of construction-grade quality, and it must have a ground plug (a third prong). A power strip may not be plugged into another power strip or splitting device. Extension cords may not be connected in a manner that allows too many appliances to be plugged into the same outlet causing more than 15 amps of power to be drawn. No electrical cords of any sort, other than phone cords, speaker wires, and cable wires, are to be run underneath a rug. 
  • Microwaves and refrigerators - Microwaves and refrigerators require a construction-grade extension cord (generally the same size or larger than the units own cord) or needs to be plugged directly into an outlet or a fused power strip; they cannot be plugged into a splitter unless the splitter has a fuse. If an adaptor is used for a power strip or extension cord, the ground lead must be connected. Refrigerators no larger than 5.0 cubic feet and 35 inches in height are allowed. Microwaves with a power consumption of 1000 watts (i.e. approximately a 600 watt power rated unit) or less are allowed.
  • Flammable materials - Flammable items such as the following are not allowed in the halls: stain, flammable cleaning solvents, butane, propane torches, gasoline, camping or cooking fuels, oil lamps, oil candles, and kerosene lamps. Candles, wax tarts, incense, and incense paraphernalia are not allowed for any reason. Lit candles, tarts, and incense have caused serious room fires in the past. No exceptions will be made for cut wicks or removed wicks.  
  • Excessive combustible materials on wall or door - No more than 50% of a single wall surface can be covered. If you use wall posters or hangings, they should be used sparingly, covering no more than one-half of the surface on each wall (this does not include furniture against the wall). This precaution eliminates excess combustible material which could cause fires to spread. 
  • Bed too close to ceiling - A clearance of 30 inches from the ceiling to the top of the mattress is required to allow adequate breathing space in case of fire or smoke that may enter the room. Any loft or stilt bed that does not comply must be fixed immediately and lowered to meet clearance guidelines. 
  • Items overhead - The room overhead area must be kept clean and clear at all times. Items cannot be hung from wall to wall or suspended from the ceiling, ceiling pipes running horizontally, electrical conduit, lights, smoke detectors, etc. This includes Christmas lights on pipes and anything hanging overhead. All wall hangings and decorations must completely touch the wall. This precaution prevents the possibility of materials falling down on a person during a fire. 
  • Heater clearance, 6 inches - A 6 inch-8inch air space between the electric heater unit and furniture is required. While it seems unlikely, a number of room fires have started due to items placed too close to the heater unit. Halls with electric heat are Stoke, Hubbard, Babcock, Christensen, and Williamson.
  • Smoke detector tampered with - Do not touch the smoke detector under any circumstance. If you suspect it to be malfunctioning, talk to your R.A. immediately. There is a $100 fine for covering, defacing, or tampering in any way with this device.
  • Egress (exit) obstruction - All pathways to room doors and windows must be kept clear. This policy is most often in violation when a resident has to push an item to the side in order to exit a room door or window. Examples of this would be furniture preventing the room door from opening a full 90 degrees, items hanging down to enclose a sleeping space, etc.
  • Halogen-type bulbs - Any style lamp with a halogen-type bulb cannot be used in the residence halls. The intense heat generated by such lamps can and have caused fires.
  • Other - Other violations can range from lounge furniture in rooms to pets.
Guest Policies

The student is responsible for the behavior of their guests, for damages caused by their guests and for informing guests of hall policies. Overnight guests are not permitted in university housing without advance permission of all students of the room in which they are staying. Overnight guests may not stay longer than two nights in any given week. No more than ten people may be in a residence hall room at one time, per order of the Fire Department.

How do I choose a roommate?

If you have selected a roommate, please fill out their name and contact information on the Housing Application form. Your roommate must also fill out their application noting you as the preferred roommate.

If you have not selected a roommate, our professional housing team will match you with a roommate using our easy roommate selection survey. Please be sure to submit your application and survey by June 1, 2019 to allow sufficient time to match you with a compatible roommate.

Roommate assignments are typically available in early July. UNH Housing will reach out to each student directly via an email to your UNH email address. The email will provide you information about your room type and contact information for your roommate(s).

Prohibited Items
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hot plates
  • Heating/immersion coils
  • Electric frying pans
  • Toaster ovens
  • Electric heaters
  • Electric blankets
  • any item that is non-recognized to a UL standard by a nationally recognized testing laboratory
  • Air conditioners
  • Clothes washers and dryers
  • Dishwashers
  • Water beds
  • TV or radio antennae or any other objects that are placed outside the room window.
  • Firearms
  • Flammable materials such as; candles, incense, explosives, fireworks, gasoline, propane, butane, etc.
  • Weapons
  • Motorized vehicles
  • Paraphernalia including, but not limited to, bongs, pipes, rolling papers, etc.
  • Built-in wall or ceiling attachments
  • Pets or animals of any kind, except non-dangerous fish. One ten-gallon tank containing fish is allowed per room.
  • Alcohol
Quiet Hours

Courtesy hours are always in effect and residents are to respect requests of others for quiet. Residence hall quiet hours are Sunday-Thursday 10 p.m. - 7 a.m. and 12 a.m. - 8 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. Apartment quiet hours are Sunday-Thursday 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. and 1 a.m. - 8 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.


Smoking is prohibited:

  • Within 20 feet of any building.
  • Inside all buildings owned and occupied or leased and occupied by UNH
  • University vehicles
  • Entrances and outside stairways to buildings. 
  • Courtyards or other areas where air circulation may be impeded by architectural, landscaping or other barriers.
What should I plan to bring to campus?

UNH dorm packing list:

  • Twin XL sheets for a 36X80 mattress
  • Blanket/comforter for twin XL
  • Pillows and pillowcases
  • Towels – hand/face/body
  • Flip flops/shower shoes
  • Shower caddy
  • Personal toiletries
  • Laundry bag or basket
  • Laundry detergent/dryer sheets
  • Clothes hangers
  • Backpack/school bag
  • Broom/ dust pan
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Laptop
  • Extension cords/surge protector
  • Medical items as needed: band aids, Tylenol, allergy medicine, personal prescriptions, etc.
  • Clock
  • Headphones
  • Tissues
  • Umbrella
  • Warm jacket
  • Trash bin (and trash bags)
  • Bowl/mug/plate/silverware

Optional suggested items:

  • Mattress cover
  • Storage containers for under bed/etc.
  • Floor/desk lamp
  • Bulletin board/dry erase board
  • Command strips/push pins/magnets/etc. for hanging décor
  • Mirror
  • Calendar
  • Water bottle/ pitcher
  • Rug
  • Printer
  • Conversion plug (if you are traveling from another country)
  • Bathrobe

One item per room limit:

*Please plan accordingly with your roommate (s)

  • Mini fridge
  • Microwave

Take a tour of UNH Manchester’s new residence hall

Located on Elm Street, UNH Downtown Commons offers double and triple rooms, on-site dining, and is only steps from downtown Manchester’s vibrant restaurants, jobs and nightlife. Residence Hall tours are Thursdays at 1:00 p.m.

Register online


If you like food, particularly a variety of styles and flavors, our campus puts you in the center of some of the state's best choices. Here are just a few options, but be sure to take a short walk downtown to see (and taste) the variety yourself.

Off-Campus Dining

NHIA Dining Center

If you're feeling indecisive, the buffet at New Hampshire Institute of Art's dining center is a great option. The dining center is located on Spring Street in downtown Manchester, just a 14-minute walk from campus. Be sure to bring your student ID card for student pricing.

Meal plans are available through NHIA dining and can be purchased at the UNH Business Office on the fourth floor in the Student Services suite or by calling 603-641-4329.

Other Local Dining

From Mediterranean and Italian to Mexican and Cajun, there are more than 80 cafes, restaurants, diners and eateries in downtown Manchester.

You can find them all listed here, courtesy of Intown Manchester.