Dr. Nancy Fernandes is an Affiliate Assistant Professor in Biotechnology at UNH Manchester where she teaches courses in New & Emerging Biotechnology and Genetics. She works full time as an Analytical Scientist at Lonza Biologics in Portsmouth New Hampshire as a lead scientist in Mass Spectrometry. Dr. Fernandes is a member of the Lonza Global Diversity and Belonging Council and actively pursues engagement of underrepresented groups in science professions.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, University of New Hampshire
- B.A. in Biology
American Society for Mass Spectrometry Certificate: Quantitative Proteome Bioinformatics
Cognate in College Teaching, UNH
Lonza Global Diversity and Belonging Council
Lonza Women in Leadership
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
American Association of Mass Spectrometry
Association for Women in Science
- Society for Science & the Public, Regeneron Talent Search,
- Exceptional Mentor, Army Educational Outreach Program
- Exceptional Service Award, National Science Foundation
- Graduate Research Fellowship
- BIOT 804 - New & Emerging Biotechnologies
- GEN 604 - Principles of Genetics
Fernandes, N.L. 2011. Detecting Estrogens in the Environment: Filtration, Microextraction and Derivatization of Estrogenic Steroids in Water Samples from New Hampshire Drinking Water Samples from New Hampshire Drinking Water Reservoirs.
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Experimental Biology Conference Poster Presentation, Fall 2014. Genetic Analysis of Replication Protein A in Arabidopsis Reveals its Role in the DNA Damage Response Pathway Fernandes, N. , April 2015, The FASEB Journal 29(1):LB154, Genetic Analysis of Replication Protein A Large Subunit Family in Arabidopsis Reveals its Role in the DNA damage Response Pathway.
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Experimental Biology Conference Poster Presentation, Spring 2016. Arabidopsis thaliana: A Unique and Powerful Model for Genomic Mutation Accumulation and Chromothripsis.
Ee, L. S., McCannell, K. N., Tang, Y., Fernandes, N., Hardy, W. R., Green, M. R., … Fazzio, T. G. (2017). An Embryonic Stem Cell-Specific NuRD Complex Functions through Interaction with WDR5. Stem Cell Reports, 8(6), 1488–1496.
Fernandes, N., Fuda, K., & Lockwood , M.K., (2018) Human Anatomy and Physiology I. Fountainhead Press.
- National Science Foundation Graduate research fellowship (2013-2017) NSF Grant (1716396) "RPA-Directed Repair of DNA Damage in Plants." (2017-2020)
- Academy of Applied Science AEOP Award: Research and Engineering Apprenticeship Award (2014-2017)