Biotechnology major Ethan Edwards '23 processes nasal swabs in UNH Manchester's on-campus COVID testing lab.

Ethan Edwards '23 knew UNH Manchester was the perfect fit for him right from the start.

“I have always been fascinated with the ‘how’ of things, especially in biology,” he said. “UNH Manchester was the obvious choice for me, as their biotech program, excellent professors and affordable tuition all came in a nice bundle, close enough for me to walk from home.”

As a Millyard Scholar, Edwards began conducting research his freshman year, analyzing local bacteriophage as part of a partnership with the SEA-Phages laboratory under the direction of faculty mentor Associate Professor Kyle MacLea. Since then, the biotechnology major has held a number of different laboratory positions, including conducting pancreatic cancer research and working in the on-campus COVID testing lab.

Over the summer, he and 19 other UNH Manchester students who received funding from the New Hampshire IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (NH-INBRE) Research Support and Training Grant presented their research at their annual meeting at the Mt. Washington Hotel. 

Through UNH Manchester's accelerated master's program, Edwards will earn his bachelor's degree in biotechnology as well as a Master of Science in Biotechnology: Industrial and Biomedical Sciences by 2024. After graduating, he hopes to secure a job for an organization that conducts novel research, manufactures products to be used in research or processes samples submitted by research facilities. With his UNH Manchester education, he is confident this goal is achievable.

“My coursework has helped establish a solid background knowledge relevant to subjects regarding immunology," Edwards says. "My lab experiences have helped me with understanding the function of antibodies, and my computational experience has helped me stay focused in this demanding and detail-oriented field.”